Sunday, April 5, 2009

Squirrel and saying "hello"

Today I took Manzi out for a walk. He was a bit nervous at first, but then relaxed and began saying hello to anyone and everyone that we passed. People usually figure out that Manzi is saying, "Hello" and not me, especially since he talks in my husband's voice. After a while, I decided to put Manzi on a tree that had a young squirrel. The squirrel got very close to Manzi (within 1.5 feet) and it looked like neither of them knew what to think of the other. Finally, after a couple of minutes Manzi told the squirrel, "Hello." After not hearing an answer Manzi puffed up at the squirrel. It was so funny. After saying "hello" to others, people almost always say hello back or at least begin to laugh after realizing that a parrot talked to them. Manzi seemed disappointed that he didn't get any reaction out of the squirrel.

Update on the doorway: Today Manzi did many flights, but would get afraid and turn around right before flying through the doorway. After much encouragement though (verbal and with the help of a walnut) Manzi flew through the doorway. Once he becomes confident with that I will add in a turn so he has to fly through the doorway and then turn into the office to get to me.

3 comments:

Jenifer Shetley said...

Adele,
I've been reading for a long time and I wanted to tell you how much I love reading about you and Manzi. I grew up with an African Grey who passed away a few years ago and it was like losing a sibling! I'm planning on getting one when I graduate college next year and being just as active with his training as you are with Manzi's. I can hardly wait! Keep the posts coming, I am certainly reading!

Jen

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you're reading the posts (it is nice to know I am not just writing them for myself). It is so much fun to do training with them. That is great that you are going to get a Grey yourself. I hope you start your own blog or something so you can share your stories. Good luck with your senior year of college!

Sandra said...

That too cute that Manzi says hello to everyone. You should have taken a picture of Manzi and the squirrel

blogger templates | Make Money Online